Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Rochester Women Rally Against Palin

Now it's the women of Rochester turning out. Here's what one of the participants noted,
It was exactly the kind of gathering one expects of women -- respectful, helpful, creative, collaborative -- a peaceful time for song, word, and action. No arrests were made; no laws broken; no politicking for anyone's candidate -- just various ways of saying, "We think for ourselves and speak for ourselves." I saw friends from all areas of my life -- teachers... dancers, clergy, musicians. There were children, mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers and never-been-mothers. We crossed generations, occupations, political affiliations, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicities (although not as many as one would hope). It was good to talk with people I knew and those I didn't....My favorite moment was when the male photographer asked the women on his left to move toward the center. You can imagine how the laughter spread through the crowd. As I drove home, I thought of at least four women I knew who would have been there if they could. If each woman present represented another four, fourteen hundred people were there in spirit. Now I know that I stood for more than four women because I'm forwarding this to seven women who couldn't attend. Recalculating, we 350 represented nearly 2500 women. I could do the exponential work... Suffice it to say, there are a lot of us who think for ourselves and speak in our voices....
Nicely said, don't you agree?

And, here are some photos from the event:









Obama/Biden 2008

No comments: